Sunday, April 13, 2014

Georgia Miller: Employee of the Week and Guest Blogger

Some people make excuses about why exercise isn't part of their lives.  Georgia has made exercise her path to overcoming obstacles so she can enjoy life.  Cancer survivor, tennis pro, A Team member and passionate educator.  Read Georgia's story and be inspired.


Why exercise? To avoid surgery, medications with side effects and enjoy life!

Until three years ago, exercise had always been my solution to any health problems.
  • 12 years old scoliosis diagnosis-surgery and months in body cast or physical therapy-therapy worked
  • 20's allergic asthma, chronic respiratory infections and reduced lung capacity-prescribed inhaler, antihistamines and frequent cortisone shots.  Had to keep vial in refrigerator in case of anaphylactic shock.  Participated in new experimental therapy involving aerobic exercise.  Then there was no need for medication.
    Three years ago I hit two obstacles that could not be cured with exercise but actually prevented it.  First I spent a year fighting and recovering from cancer treatment while working on National Board Certification.  The medication and radiation resulted in fatigue, chills, memory problems and anxiety.   Then a rash appeared on my arms and spread all over-was told was stress, all in my mind.  After a year of chills, antihistamines, and cortisone steroids (not a good combination for a middle school teacher-really messes with your mind) finally diagnosed as scabies-lice type parasite under the skin.
Sixth months ago I was finally “healthy” but very discouraged by lack of ability to regain former strength.  My tennis friends kept me playing but I was feeling weak and very old.  As a result of all my treatments, I now had dangerously high blood pressure and osteoporosis.  The fear of falling added to my anxiety. Then several events changed my life.

    First, I now knew I had to “get back in shape” or face the danger of fractures, heart attack/stroke.  Heart attacks and strokes run in my family. A few weeks later a former student asked for support to launch a nonprofit that included fitness-an amazing opportunity for Homewood.  I wanted to participate in the launch’s 5k.   I returned to my old gym and routines but just didn’t have the strength to complete a workout.  A trainer showed me how to use the circuit equipment but took more time to adjust than workout-didn’t seem to see any improvement.  Then, Nivada sent an email about the A team-an opportunity to work out with her guidance and support. 
     Last Thursday I completed the entire A Team trail workout.  Then Friday afternoon completed the 5K-running in the back as pacer/support for those who had never participated in a run.  One of the new runners was a HHS student who supported her mother, then me as her EL teacher and this year her brother through cancer treatment.  Weeks earlier, she had not thought she could run 5k.  Also running to support was another former student-Afghanistan /Iraq vet who hadn’t run in years.  He was there for his sister the non-profit’s founder.  He commented that I hadn’t changed in the 20 years since taught him.  I realized this run was a victory for us all-we had regained confidence and hope that we can create our own wonderful future-anything is possible.


So instead of listing reasons I can’t exercise,  I focus on reasons  I must: prevent heart disease, cancer, allergies, osteoporosis-most importantly, so I am happy, healthy and able to do a job I love well!

No comments:

Post a Comment