Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Movement Blog will welcome guest bloggers over the next few weeks.   These bloggers enjoy walking or running as part of their active lifestyle.  The goal in sharing their stories is to let you know that wellness is as simple as putting on your shoes and putting one foot in front of the other.  Our goal is to motivate you to start walking or running and get to the starting line of the Spirit Scamper.  Join the walkers and runners who are already out there pounding the pavement!  

PLEASE HELP THE MOVEMENT WELCOME OUR FIRST GUEST BLOGGER

FRAN WOODRUFF

5 Reasons Why I Run


#1
I make the rules.
After being elected Homewood Middle School’s Miss Uncoordination in 1975, I gave up on being an athlete. In 2010, I changed my mind. My power is deciding what, when, where, and how I exercise. (I call it Couch to My Way.)

#2
New clothes, new shoes, new apps, new music.
When I HAVE to buy new shoes every 300 miles, that is incentive to run!

#3
It surprises people.

#4
It surprises me.
A three-mile run seems to last three hours, but when I really finish after 30 or 40 minutes, wow, time shifts.

#5
More Oreos
One Oreo has 50 calories. One mile burns 100 calories.

#6
Yes, #6, because I make the rules.
Family.
Life is about connections; running gives me something else to do and discuss with my relatives and not so relatives.

Now when you and I see each other next, you can ask me about the Cooper River Bridge Run (my first 10K) in Charleston, SC. I’m enjoying it this coming weekend...with my husband, daughter, some of her friends, my nephew, some of his friends, two of our neighbors, and 39,988 other interesting people.

And I’ll ask you why you exercise.

Homewood Moves
Fran Woodruff
The (Very Coordinated) Book Mover at Edgewood Elementary