Saturday, February 25, 2017

500 day streak. Nutrition Journal

This is the caption from my timeline on www.myfitnesspal.com


I've been streaking for 500 days.  It's become a habit that I'm not ashamed of.  The streak I'm speaking of is logging everything I eat and drink in the free version of www.myfitnesspal.com.  I have an app on my phone so the accessibility is easy.

 Here are some things I've learned over the course of 500 days:

  1. Losing/Maintaining/Gaining weight: The number on the scale is 80% relative to nutrition and 20% relative to my workout routine. 
  2. Drinking calories: Calories can add up in a hurry if you drink them.  I don't drink alcohol or sugary drinks daily but if I did I would have a tough time balancing my nutrition.
  3. Real food:  I lose weight when I eat "real" food.  I have a habit of grabbing a protein bar too often to make up for not getting enough lean meat in my diet.  Protein bars are a great supplement but shouldn't be a mainstay. 
  4. Calories and macronutrients:  My goal is 1400 calories daily with a breakdown of 45% carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat.  It's challenging to reach those goals even after 500 days!
  5. The unknown:  Before I began journaling my nutrition, the unknown was my biggest downfall.  Journaling keeps me on target for my goals.
To date I've lost 6% body fat and gained 4 lbs of muscle.

If you have started a journal and given up because you didn't find success, I encourage you to try again.  Set a goal to journal for a week (you won't see immediate results).  Once you complete the week, set a goal to continue for a month.  You will see results!  One final note about the journal.  You have to be honest about portions.  If you aren't honest you will never achieve success.  I think that's a good point to end on.  Read this one more time:  If you aren't honest you will never achieve success. 

Congratulations to the Edgewood team for winning week #23 of the PPC.  


Post your Patriot Points HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment